Tera is building a Health SuperApp using the principles of functional medicine to assist people in the design and implementation of personalized consumption and lifestyle strategies to create and sustain Health while regenerating our Planet.
Tera's long-term goal is to empower people to “own and optimize their health” and do what is right for their bodies to keep disease and aging away.
By using Tera today, people can:
■ Avoid the toxic chemicals in their personal care, cosmetics, and household cleaning products that:
• Damage our organs (Organ Toxicants)
• Cause cancer (Carcinogens)
• Lower our fertility (Reproductive Toxicants)
• Irritate and corrode our skin and eyes (Skin and Eye Irritants)
• Kill Aquatic Life
• Damage the Ozone Layer
■ Avoid the allergens in their food and consumer products that cause unhealthy inflammation
■ Avoid the unhealthy additives and nutrients in their food that cause many chronic diseases including heart disease, type 2 diabetes, hypertension, cholesterol, and obesity
Next, Tera is developing an application to empower users to create personalized meal plans with recipes and food shopping lists using their Tera Healthy-Shopping Filter at their favorite food retailer and use food as medicine as one of their health creation strategies.
Why does this matter?
We are facing an unprecedented health crisis. Only 7% of Americans are metabolically healthy i.e. have normal blood pressure, blood sugar, cholesterol, and weight.
Our modern US lifestyle is causing diseases.
The thousands of toxic chemicals found in our food, personal care, beauty, and cleaning products are making us sick
• We are exposed daily to over 100 chemicals in our food and consumer products. Around 300 chemicals are found in newborns.
• More than 90% of cosmetics harbor heavy metals and chemicals that can disrupt hormones, impact fertility, and even fuel the development of cancer.
• According to the EPA, less than 1% of the 84,000 chemicals used in consumer products in the U.S. have been rigorously tested for human and environmental safety.
• The EU has banned 1,328 chemicals in cosmetics vs. 12 in the US. The EU unveiled a plan to ban another 12,000 chemicals in consumer products. No such plan exists in the US.
• There is no adequate consumer protection in the US against toxic chemicals in our consumer products and we are left on our own to try to avoid them.
For more information on toxic chemicals and their impact on your health check out our blog articles below:
Allergies triggered by foods and consumer products are on the rise and cause our immune system to create unhealthy inflammation
• 85 million or 25% of Americans now avoid allergens in the food they buy.
• The number of American children who experience food allergies has been growing about four times faster than the population has for at least 20 years.
• It is very hard to know from a product label alone what allergens are present in a product.
The food we eat is killing us
•75 percent of non-organic fresh produce sold in the U.S. contains residues of potentially harmful pesticides.
•60 % of calorie intake for US adults comes from ultra-processed foods (66% for US children).
•These processed food products deliver potent combinations of fat, sugar, sodium, and artificial flavors. They are what scientists call hyper-palatable: Irresistible, easy to overeat, and capable of hijacking the brain’s reward system and provoking powerful cravings. Their manufacturing process creates new compounds like carcinogens.
•People who eat a lot of ultra-processed foods have a 19 percent higher likelihood of early death and a 32 percent higher risk of dying from heart disease compared with people who eat few ultra-processed foods.
•78 percent of healthcare expenditures are for the treatment of chronic diseases (diabetes 2, cancer, obesity, heart disease, stroke …) and many researchers now believe that these problems are partly related to our diet.
•68% of processed foods sold in US grocery stores have added sugar. Manufacturers use 100+ different ingredient names to mask the addition of sugar. Medical evidence shows that high sugar consumption is linked to obesity, diabetes, and tooth decay.
•Over the past three decades, childhood obesity rates have tripled in the U.S., and today, the country has some of the highest obesity rates in the world: one out of six children is obese, and one out of three children is overweight or obese.
For more information on the impact of processed food on your health check out our blog articles below:
Diseases can be avoided and reversed by diagnosing and treating the root causes with lifestyle changes and diet changes. We can live disease-free.
Conventional medicine is reductionist and siloed and suppresses symptoms with drugs (ex: lowers your cholesterol with a statin drug) but does not heal diseases.
Functional medicine on the other hand addresses the root causes of diseases and fixes them with diet and lifestyle changes (detoxification, nutrition, exercise,...) to restore health.
Tera empowers people to live a healthy life with tools that allow them to navigate the many pitfalls of our modern, Western lifestyle that cause disease.